Thank you for your interest in the House of Delegates Scholarship Program for the 2016 – 2017 academic years.
The Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) has established certain minimum criteria or the Delegates Scholarship Program. To be eligible for a scholarship from Delegate Cluster you must live in the 8th legislative district, complete the FAFSA no later than March 1, 2016, you must attend a Maryland college or institution. If our university system does not offer your course study you can apply for a Unique Major through the Maryland Higher Education Commission. The FAFSA and Unique Major applications are available online at the MHEC website at: http://www.mhec.state.md.us/, and we must receive your application and supporting documents no later than 5:00pm on March 31, 2016.
I have formed a scholarship committee comprised of educators, business owners, counselors and parents. The scholarship committee selects the most qualified candidates based on the following criteria:
- The quality of the academic program which the applicant is currently taking
- The GPA of the applicant (minimum 2.0 GPA required)
- The scope of the extra-curricular activities of the applicant (includes school and community involvement as well as employment),and
- The quality and content of the essay
Enclosed is an application, please complete and forward it to me along with a copy (can be unofficial) most recent transcript and a brief, typed (1 page) essay on one of the following topics:
- If you have previously received a Delegate Scholarship from us, the essay should provide an update of the last year. Specifically, describe your academic, community, and professional involvement and achievements as well as any new career aspirations.
- If you are a first-time applicant, the essay should detail the qualities that make you a strong and deserving candidate to receive a Delegate Scholarship. Please emphasize all academic, professional and community-related activities or achievements which you have completed.
The deadline for submitting you application and supporting documentation is March 31, 2016. There will be no exceptions to this deadline. My scholarship committee will be meeting the third week of April to select the 2016 – 2017 recipients. All students will be notified as to the results of the Scholarship Committee’s review.
Another important deadline is the filing of your FAFSA, March 1, 2016.
If you have any additional questions or comments please feel free to contact us at your convenience.
We wish you much success in your academic endeavors.
Delegate John Cluster, Jr.
Printable Instructions and Application